List:       jakarta-commons-user
Subject:    Re: [vfs] How to *not* create directories if the don't exist?
From:       "Jeffrey D. Brekke" <jbrekke () wi ! rr ! com>
Date:       2006-10-17 17:54:42

Mario Ivankovits wrote:
> Hi Jeffrey!
>>> If its virtual, then no, it's not possible yet.
>>> Hmmm ... with some thoughts it should be possible, though.
> When we find a way how to solve this, it might be also a solution for
> the "hidden file" bug/enhancement.
> I just don't know how to do it best.
>
> One way could be that we open the possibility to transform a virutal
> object to a file/folder manually, though, this seems to be a *very*
> strange solution.
>
> Any additional idea is welcome ...

My only idea was a file system option to just skip the auto creation of
folders when looking at the paths.  Just use them when this is on and
don't attempt to create them.  Don't even verify they exist in the
directory listing?

I think this equates to some system options honored in
AbstractFileObject to skip the parent/folder traversal/creation stuff.

Or an alternative implementation of FileObject that does something like
this?