List:       jakarta-commons-dev
Subject:    Re: [geometry] Points and Vectors Proposal
From:       Gilles <gilles () harfang ! homelinux ! org>
Date:       2018-04-30 12:03:04

Hello.

On Sun, 29 Apr 2018 02:40:54 +0000, Matt Juntunen wrote:
> Hi Gilles,
>
> The generic Vector class is actually not used much but the generic
> Point class is used throughout the core partitioning code and in the
> high-level enclosing ball code. If we used a class like
>
> class Vector2D implements Vector, Cartesian2D, Polar2D { ... }
>
> We'd still need to cast internally on the Vector methods since they
> accept the generic Vector type (eg, add(Vector<S> v)).

Do you mean that the code uses "instanceof" to check which
subclass of Vector is being passed?

> A slightly different approach on the polar vs Cartesian thing would
> be to use the same exact "spatial value" class to represent them
> both.
> This makes sense conceptually since they're both just different
> representations of the same underlying spatial value.

Does the codebase contain functionality that is purely
"geometric" (no assumption on the underlying coordinate system)
or is it a basic assumption that Cartesian coordinates are needed
for anything useful.

In the former case, it is not good to assume either Cartesian or
polar coordinates or even both, since other coordinate system are
possible.

If, say, the scope of this component is limited (to what?) and
explicitly requires a Cartesian coordinate system, then (and only
then, I guess), can the design be based on this assumption.

> The main
> interface might then look something like this (note that I'm playing
> with the names a bit to see what fits best):
>
> // Describes a value associated with a specific type of mathematical
> space.
> // For an n-dimensional space, this will typically take the form of
> an n-tuple, but no restrictions
> // are placed on the representation at this level.
> interface Spatial {
> int getDimension();
> boolean isNaN();
> boolean isInfinite();
> }
>
> // Point interface. This adds point semantics to an otherwise
> mathematically
> // meaningless Spatial value.
> interface Point<S extends Spatial> {
> S getValue();
> double distance(Point<S> p);
> // ...
> }
>
> // Vector interface. This adds vector semantics to an otherwise
> mathematically
> // meaningless Spatial value.
> interface Vector<S extends Spatial> {
> S getValue();
> Vector<S> add(Vector<S> v);
> // ...
> }
>
> // Represents a value in Euclidean two-dimensional space.
> class Euclidean2D implements Spatial {
> // Store coordinates internally in Cartesian form but expose
> // methods for getting and constructing the values in other
> representations,
> // specifically polar.
> protected final double x;
> protected final double y;
>
> // Cartesian accessors
> double getX();
> double getY();
>
> // Polar accessors
> double getR();
> double getTheta();
>
> // ...
> }

Unless there is a good reason (how to subclass should be
explained in the Javadoc), "protected" fields and methods
must be avoided.

As hinted above, we first have to decide whether specific
coordinate systems are a basic tenet of the component's
functionalities, or an implementation detail.

> class Vector2D extends Euclidean2D implements Vector<Euclidean2D> {
> Euclidean2D getValue() {
> return this;
> }
>
> Vector2D add(Vector<Euclidean2D> v) {
> Euclidean2D val = v.getValue(); // no cast needed; we know
> what types of values we're working with
>
> // perform operations in Cartesian coordinates; callers can
> get the polar coordinate values
> // from the result if they want
> return new Vector2D(x + val.getX(), y + val.getY());
> }
> }

I'm wary of
   Vector2D add(Vector<Euclidean2D> v)
where it should rather be
   Vector2D add(Vector2D v)

I'd imagine that an application developer will want to use
simple workflows:
  * create a vector (e.g. calling either a "Cartesian" or a
    "polar" factory method),
  * pass it to coordinate-system independent algorithms (it's
    up to those algorithm to make the necessary conversion if
    they are implemented in term of a specific system),
  * retrieve the result and be able to convert it to his system
    of choice.

How about something along the following lines?

public interface Vector2D {
   Vector2D add(Vector2D other);

   // etc.
}

public class Vector2DFactory {
   public static Cartesian2D toCartesian(Cartesian2D v) {
     return v;
   }
   public static Cartesian2D toCartesian(Polar2D v) { ... }

   // etc.
}

public class Cartesian2D implements Vector2D {
   private final double x;
   private final double y;

   public Cartesian2D add(Cartesian2D other) {
     return new Cartesian2D(x + other.x, y + other.y);
   }

   @Override
   public Vector2D add(Vector2D other) {
     return add(Vector2DFactory.toCartesian(other));
   }
}

public class Polar2D {
   private final double r;