List:       jakarta-commons-dev
Subject:    Re: [Numbers] =?UTF-8?Q?Scope=3F?=
From:       Gilles <gilles () harfang ! homelinux ! org>
Date:       2017-01-30 13:58:47

On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 12:40:06 +0100, Eric Barnhill wrote:
> I agree the solvers don't seem to be in the scope.

Let's agree to defer the decision. :-)

> The MathArrays are a great idea but could use some rethinking.

Fine thne. Could you please start a new thread with some of the
things to rethink about?

> First of all there are leftover references to classes like Field that
> have
> disappeared with the larger math framework and these should go.

Agreed (no use-case have popped up IIRC).

> Also, there are a lot of basic array-wise operations that might
> benefit
> from inclusion. To pick an example at random, element-by-element
> cosine. In
> fact I already have a whole library of these (very simple) methods
> for up
> to 3 dimensions which I would be happy to contribute.
>
> My understanding is that such operations can be accomplished
> elegantly with
> lambdas now. But speaking only for myself, I tend to stick to "old
> school"
> Java syntax and I know I find these methods very useful.

A very important issue here: what JDK version do we target?

I'd go for Java8, in the hope to revive interest in Commons from an
audience that might be put off by the "no fun" of older and soon
unsupported JVM.

> If there was general agreement on inclusion of MathArrays, I am happy
> work on it.

Great.  But let's discuss first the above.

Gilles