List:       jakarta-commons-dev
Subject:    Re: [Math] Why no "AnyVector" Interface?
From:       Gilles Sadowski <gilles () harfang ! homelinux ! org>
Date:       2012-01-31 13:44:25

Hello.

> I'm currently working on a scripted interface to Commons Math.  I support both Real \
> and Field (Complex) matrices, and Real and Field (Complex) vectors.  Checking the \
> size of the matrices is trivial because they both implement AnyMatrix which has row \
> and column size getters, but because there is no AnyVector class I have to deal \
> with the two vector types separately.  Since both RealVector and FieldVector \
> already implement getDimension() it would seem trivial to add an AnyVector class \
> with that method.
> Is there a reason AnyVector doesn't already exist?  If not it would seem a \
> worthwhile (and quick) thing to add for 3.0.

-1

I don't mean to argue that this proposal is wrong, just that no new feature
should be added at this point, as we try to get to a long overdue release.

Moreover, there has been recent dicussions over changing the design of the
matrix interface(s); it would be a contradiction to do as if everyone were
statisfied with the current design.

Best,
Gilles

P.S. Of course, you are very welcome to (re-)open the discussions after 3.0
     is out.