List:       jakarta-commons-dev
Subject:    Re: [pool] Pool config vs. factory hierarchies.
From:       Mark Thomas <markt () apache ! org>
Date:       2010-10-31 12:19:31

On 31/10/2010 03:55, Phil Steitz wrote:
> On 10/30/10 10:55 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:
>> It would be possible for example, that the GOP subclass GKOP as a
>> degenerate simple case where the GOP has one pool in a GKOP. That
>> seems radical, but it would eliminate a lot of apparent code
>> duplication: public class AltGenericObjectPool<T>  extends
>> GenericKeyedObjectPool<T, T>. That would be weird in the sense
>> that APIs like borrowObject() and borrowObject(T) would be
>> available but you get the idea.
>
> I understand the reasoning here, but I don't see it as natural and it
> would be hard to implement efficiently (at least I don't see an easy way
> to do it).  Here again, I could be missing something that would make
> this easy.

+1. My instinct is to agree with Phil on this one. The driver for a lot
of this work is making DBCP perform better in concurrent use scenarios
(where Tomcat's jdbc-pool currently beats it hands down performance
wise) and I'd rather trade some maintenance overhead for a simpler (and
better performing) implementation.

That said, without some hard performance numbers this is just guess work
and my instinct could be completely wrong.

Mark