List:       jakarta-commons-dev
Subject:    [chain] Serializability of base impls
From:       Rahul Akolkar <rahul.akolkar () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-11-30 23:30:28

Recently, while looking at a codebase that uses Commons Chain, I was
drawn to the top commit message for ContextBase [1].

I'm interested in knowing what the developer (and user too) opinions
are on this topic. Has anybody made any progress on this?

Does anyone have a preference among -

 * Keep base impls inherently serializable, but let subclass
implementors make their own decisions about serializability. This is
probably a good idea for any Commons library, since interfaces can't
be "un-inherited" (quoting the commit message). I think this action
will warrant a major release, and rework on ContextBase (to not
inherit HashMap) amongst other things.

 * Mark an issue in the [chain] release notes

 * Do nothing at all

 * Some other suggestion

-Rahul

[1] http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta/commons/proper/chain/trunk/src/java/org/apache/commons/chain/impl/ContextBase.java