List:       jakarta-commons-dev
Subject:    Re: [configuration] Accessing from EL script
From:       "Mark R. Diggory" <mdiggory () latte ! harvard ! edu>
Date:       2004-05-19 13:58:48

Good,

I didn't think it was a new idea myself. I suspect that Configuration
would benefit from the lessons learn in JNDI and Naming when it comes to
Flat vs. Hierarchical Namespaces and the idea of "Context". The
HierarchicalConfiguration already maintains something like this in its
"Node" Interface. Convergence with the Map/Collection API would draw
this Node Interface into a Collection Interface as well.

-Mark

Emmanuel Bourg wrote:

> Mark R. Diggory wrote:
>
>> Hmm, I'm not sure your getting me, I'm refering to making the
>> Configuration interface a proper Map via an extension of the
>> Collection API's Map Interface and requiring all implementations to
>> support that interface (Which could be facilitated through
>> Abstraction/Polymorphism) with little impact to the existing usage.
>

> I have been supporting the idea of basing the Configuration interface on
> java.util.Map for quite some time, that's why I filed Bug 26102 to start
> the convergence of the 2 interfaces but there was no urgent need to
> implement the Map interface. This EL use case is an interesting argument
> to push toward this change, but I'm not sure it will work well once we
> address the issue of hierarchical configurations.
>
> Emmanuel Bourg

Mark Diggory
Software Developer
Harvard MIT Data Center