List:       jakarta-commons-dev
Subject:    Re: [configuration] Accessing from EL script
From:       Oliver Heger <hegero () med ! uni-marburg ! de>
Date:       2004-05-19 13:46:41

Hierarchical configurations would provide such a hierarchical context
mentioned in this thread. But wouldn't there be ambiguities?

Imagine you have a configuration containing the properties foo=something
and foo.bar=something_different. If you now want to access
${sessionScope.configAttribute.foo} and
${sessionScope.configAttribute.foo.bar}, how could an implementation
know whether foo means a context or a property value?

Oliver

Emmanuel Bourg schrieb:

> Mark R. Diggory wrote:
>
>> Hmm, I'm not sure your getting me, I'm refering to making the
>> Configuration interface a proper Map via an extension of the
>> Collection API's Map Interface and requiring all implementations to
>> support that interface (Which could be facilitated through
>> Abstraction/Polymorphism) with little impact to the existing usage.
>

> I have been supporting the idea of basing the Configuration interface on
> java.util.Map for quite some time, that's why I filed Bug 26102 to start
> the convergence of the 2 interfaces but there was no urgent need to
> implement the Map interface. This EL use case is an interesting argument
> to push toward this change, but I'm not sure it will work well once we
> address the issue of hierarchical configurations.
>
> Emmanuel Bourg

Dipl.-Inform. Oliver Heger
Zentrale Informationsverarbeitung (ZIV) / Bereich Anwenderverfahren
Klinikum der Philipps-Universität Marburg
Bunsenstraße 3,
D-35037 Marburg
Tel: +49 6421 28-66592
mailto:oliver.heger@med.uni-marburg.de