I've often had the need to perform some setup of a connection before it can be used, such as: ALTER SESSION SET current_schema = workable_schema; As such, I've had a hacked version of dbcp around for a while that adds an "activationStatement" and a "passivationStatement". Both are fed thru the Statement.execute(String) method, and nothing is done with any (possible) ResultSet from the query. These statements are executed in the activateObject() and passivateObject() methods (of PoolableConnectionFactory). If an exception is thrown when executing either, a message is logged, and normal processing continues, i.e., a "bad" activationStatement will not cause the connection to be considered "bad". If this is something that might be considered for inclusion in dbcp, please give me some feedback/comments on the notes above and I'll send a patch. cheers. Brent -- "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing." -- Duane Allman --------------------------------------------------------------------- To unsubscribe, e-mail: commons-dev-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org For additional commands, e-mail: commons-dev-help@jakarta.apache.org