List:       jakarta-commons-dev
Subject:    Re: When editing Unix shell scripts on Windows...
From:       martin.cooper () tumbleweed ! com
Date:       2001-09-30 8:09:36

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Turner" <jeff@socialchange.net.au>
To: "Jakarta Commons Developers" <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, September 30, 2001 12:49 AM

> On Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 12:32:20AM -0700, martin.cooper@tumbleweed.com
wrote:
> > Unless I'm mistaken, CVS takes care of line end handling automatically,
for
> > text files.
> >
> > Generally, when checking out a text file (e.g. a source file) from CVS,
> > Unix user will see LF line ends and a Windows user will see CR-LF line
ends.

> Indeed.. so if a Windows user does the final packaging and releasing of a
> project distribution, won't that mean that all the Unix shell scripts will
be
> corrupt?

It would seem so, yes. Conversely, if a Unix user performs the same task,
all batch files will contain LF instead of CR-LF. Windows NT/2000 is OK with
that, but Win98 and friends are not.

> If so, the 'dist' targets of projects should probably all include a
<fixcrlf>
> task.

That sounds like a good idea. It looks like Ant does this for its own
distribution builds.

An alternative, where feasible, would be to avoid the use of external shell
scripts and batch files wherever possible, and rely on Ant itself to do all
the work.

--
Martin Cooper