List:       jakarta-commons-dev
Subject:    Re: Latka Alpha 1
From:       "Morgan Delagrange" <mdelagra () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-10-18 4:04:33

Hi Sam,

First off, thanks for taking the initiative to set up daily builds for Latka.  I \
appreciate it.

Sam Ruby wrote on 9/13/01 8:50 pm:

> I have yet to build latka
> successfully ...  latka depends
> on httpclient, which has
> never had a release.

This is true.  Yesterday afternoon I checked a binary version of HttpClient into CVS \
that meets the compile and runtime-dependencies of Latka.  (Actually, I did a pretty \
major overhaul of the build scripts in preparation for an alpha.  Much of the logic \
is new.)  I don't like checking jar files into CVS, but the HttpClient version on the \
main trunk is now missing some features that we need.

A few weeks ago, we agreed to roll back the main trunk of HttpClient, removing all \
the new features we've added to the library in order to restore binary compatibility \
with Slide.  This version would be the basis of a 1.0 release for HttpClient.

Unfortunately, Latka depends on functionality that has now been removed.  Most \
notably, we would no longer be able to support SSL connections.  Other bug fixes were \
also lost.

So Latka uses its own copy of HttpClient that still contains the necessary features.  \
We'll probably continue using this until a proven version of HttpClient 2.0 is \
available.

> Furthermore, latka doesn't
> appear to compile against
> the HEAD version of laka.

I don't understand what this means.  Could you give me some tips on what the problem \
is, and how I might fix it?

> Shouldn't a release of
> httpclient be done first?

Latka does not actually expose the HttpClient classes in any way.  All those \
operations are masked by interfaces.  So the only concern would be environmental.  I \
don't think this is an issue at present, since Latka is on the one hand a stand-alone \
command-line client, and on the other a self-contained webapp.  In either case we \
don't have to worry about competing libraries in the classpath.  (At least that is \
the intention.)

I wanted to get an alpha release out there, because building the webapp (which \
requires building two other libraries first) is a slightly elaborate process.  I \
wanted to lower the cost of entry,  so that folks could start to explore.

- Morgan