List:       jacorb-developer
Subject:    Re: [jacorb-developer] Questions concerning the	internalThread	usage
From:       Andre Spiegel <spiegel () gnu ! org>
Date:       2008-07-11 8:26:37

On Fri, 2008-07-11 at 09:07 +0200, Wagner, Marcus (Marcus) wrote:

> I have to know about the Receptor Threads. What are they doing,
> and why is their max Amount that high?

The Receptor threads read messages off the wire and hand them over to
the POA, which has its own thread pool to process them.  The model for
the Receptor threads is that there is one thread per incoming
connection.  A thread remains committed to one particular connection as
long as that connection lasts.  During that time, a thread never
processes requests from any other connection.

That is the reason why the maximum number of Receptor threads is that
high: It is the maximum number of clients that can simultaneously be
served.

When connections close, the corresponding Receptor threads usually
terminate, as long as there are more idle threads than max_idle_threads.
When new connections come in, new threads are created on demand, unless
there are still lingering idle threads that can service these
connections.

I hope this helps.  Please note that although I am one of the core
JacORB developers, I did not design this part of the ORB and the thread
management has never really been my area of expertise.  I'm mostly
describing what I see in the code.  Others might want to share their
thoughts and experiences with this design and what's good or bad about
it.

Andre