List:       jacorb-developer
Subject:    [jacorb-developer] The IDL compiler, Java 1.4.2, Linux,  AMD 64
From:       Phil Mesnier <mesnier_p () ociweb ! com>
Date:       2005-11-14 17:01:10

Hi,

I use 64-bit SuSE 9.0 linux with Blackdown's Java 1.4.2. For a long time
I have not been able to run the JacORB IDL compiler on this platform due
to an apparent VM bug. With the most recent iteration of the VM, the
problem resolves to initializing static members in-line.

In particular the file org/jacorb/idl/parser.java causes the problem,
which does not seem to appear elsewhere.

I have resolved this problem by replacing the in-line calls to new with
calls inside the parser.init() method. This was already happening for all
but one member, pending_interfaces. When I put the initialization of
pending_interfaces into init(), everything seems to work just fine. It
appears that all the uses of the parser do call init() before actually
doing any work with the parser.

I've attached my diff to org/jacorb/idl/parser.java. If no one objects, I
would like to commit this change.

Thanks,
Phil

--