List:       jacorb-developer
Subject:    RE: [jacorb-developer] How to get Bug fix releases from JacORB ?
From:       Andre Spiegel <spiegel () gnu ! org>
Date:       2005-09-01 21:58:44

On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 10:01 -0500, Taneja, Nandini wrote:

> Thanks for your response. Still one more question - From the ChangeLog I
> can get the diff for a file. But Is there a way to get which files were
> changed on a Bug Fix ? That way I can just get the patch using cvs diff
> for those files.

The ChangeLog tells you the date on which a particular change was made,
and which file it was made in.  You can then use "cvs log" to find the
version numbers of the file that correspond to the change, and use "cvs
diff" to get a report of the exact changes that were made.

The ChangeLog should tell you which files were changed to fix a
particular bug.  For example, look at this entry:

2005-06-01  Andre Spiegel  <spiegel@gnu.org>

	* naming/NameServer.java (incarnate): Don't call System.exit(),
	fixing bug #518.

	* naming/NamingContextImpl.java (new_context): Don't call
	System.exit(), fixing bug #518.

	* orb/ServantDelegate.java (_invoke): Call
	Servant._get_interface_def(), rather than the deprecated method
	_get_interface(), fixing bug #596.

This suggests that both NameServer.java and NamingContextImpl.java
contain the fix for bug #518, but the fix for bug #596 is only in
ServantDelegate.java.  There is no guarantee that you can apply such a
fix to a previous JacORB version locally -- it might depend on other
changes that had been installed in the mean time.  Sometimes, you might
have to do a little patch archeology to actually find out what to do.
We won't be able to make this any easier for you in the general case.
Your best bet is to stay up-to-date with a recent JacORB version.

Andre