List:       jacorb-developer
Subject:    Re: [jacorb-developer] destroying objects explicitly not only
From:       Oliver Pajonk <oliver.pajonk () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-02-16 10:11:00

> I have a principal object "UsersManager" which dinamically creates many
>  instances
>  of an object " UserController".
>
> The object "UserController"  offers 2 methods : one for starting the work
> of the object
> (it has to perform some work continuously)   and one other for destroying
> the object by itself.
>
> The body of the method for destroying the object invokes the POA.deactive_object.
>
> Unfortunatly, the object to destroy stays in memory and continues running
>
> (I know that its finalize method is never called )
>
> How this can be done?

What yo're trying to do sounds like "distributed garbage collection".
I once wrote a similar system, but I do not remember if destroying an
object by itself worked. I think that did not work for me, too. I had
do destroy it from "outside" the object. The concept of distributed GC
is described in Gerald Broses' book "Java Programming with CORBA" in
chapter 15.2.1. I'm afraid that I can't point you to more...

HTH
Oliver Pajonk