List:       jacorb-developer
Subject:    Re: [jacorb-developer] Trading Services, simple implementation ?
From:       Gerald Brose <brose () inf ! fu-berlin ! de>
Date:       1999-07-13 7:45:23

Andre-John Mas wrote:

> > If I understand rightly the nmg program stores a list of object
> > implementations. If this is the case, could a simple trading
> > service not take advantage of this information for it functionality?
> >
> > AJ
>
> Taking a look at the CosTrading.idl services at omg.org it doesn't
> look like there is such a thing as a simple implementation of the
> trading services, and anyhow its probably not what I am looking for
> anyhow.
>
> What I am wanting to do is find a way of locating any servers on
> a local network that implement a given interface, allow the user
> to select one and the connect to it. Visibroker offers Location-
> Services to do this, is there any JacORB equivalent?

It seems you want something in-between :-). To clarify the issue:

The naming service is a 'white pages' service, you request a reference
to an object given a certain name. There will only be one result, if
any, and you cannot search for specific interfaces.

The trading service (a la 'yellow pages') allows you to look up object
references according a set of service properties and the interface
type and will deliver a set of suitable results, potentially arranged
after some selection criteria.

JacORB does have a naming service but no trader. Bruno Boettcher has
written something that is not quite a trader but does more than a
name server. I have not had time to test it, but you may want to
have a look at http://erm1.u-strasbg.fr/~bboett/jtrader/. Under
http://www.infosys.tuwien.ac.at/Research/Corba/sw-based.html you
can find references to free trader implementations which could be
ported to JacORB (provided I put a day or two of work into the
implementation of DynAnys for JacORB ;-)).

Hope that helps, Gerald.
--
Gerald Brose,                       Mail:       brose@inf.fu-berlin.de
FU Berlin        (for PGP key see:) http://www.inf.fu-berlin.de/~brose