List:       jabber-jng-jig
Subject:    [jng] saturday night notes
From:       Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter () jabber ! org>
Date:       2001-10-26 15:46:56

Here are the notes I took last Saturday night:

******

what's good about the current protocol/system

easy to program
simplicity
extensibility (namespaces)
abstracts network endpoints

what's bad about the current protocol/system

static namespaces
session tied to socket
presence, rosters, subscriptions too tightly coupled
sessions, route, auth too tightly coupled
too many different places where routing happens
no real routing layer
browsing too constrictive (info s.b. supplied by agent)
no true bookmarks

considerations for Jabber: The Next Generation

need more flexible handling of sub-addresses (hierarchical resources)
presence vs. availability -- need more granular control
rules-based delivery and availability
browsing metadata needed
contact list (e.g., bookmarks) vs. subscription list (presence)
browse location -- centralized and localized?
browsing is discovery -- relationship to other entities *and*
functionality
browse first and only then interact (e.g., by subscribing)
slash (/) will be a delimiter within the path/resource
hierarchy of entities, fully routable

******

These notes end when I left, where there other issues that came up after
that?

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre