List:       jabber-jdev
Subject:    Re: [jdev] How do I know when a MUC server restarts?
From:       Thijs Alkemade <me () thijsalkema ! de>
Date:       2016-03-03 16:47:54

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

> On 3 mrt. 2016, at 14:19, Stephen Paul Weber <singpolyma@singpolyma.net> wrote:
>
> I am writing a external component (using it with Prosody right now) that allows \
> users to join MUCs on other servers.  When a remote server restarts, I see this is \
> my prosody log:
> info    outgoing s2s stream singpolyma.net->chat.yax.im closed: system-shutdown \
> (Received SIGTERM)
> Now, my component is not running on singpolyma.net (that is a different domain on \
> the same Prosody instance), but either maybe all s2s were incoming at the time \
> since no one had said anything recently?
> Anyway, looking at the logs on my component, I don't see any stanza indicating \
> anything about this.  I mean, I guess that makes sense.  Server restarts don't \
> generate stanzas.
> The problem is that when they restart the server, it comes back up with all MUCs \
> empty and I need to get everyone on my component to re-join.  But as it the \
> component actually thinks they are still in the MUC!
> Other XMPP clients I use seem to (sometimes after awhile) detect this situation \
> somehow and tell me I'm no longer in the room (or try to re-join).  How are they \
> doing this?  Is this some quirk of the external component protocol where normally \
> Prosody would generate this kind of stanza to a client?  Or what else could I be \
> missing?  I really need to solve this issue...
> Many thanks for any help!

There was a bug in Prosody before 0.9.10 that caused "unavailable" presences
to occupants to never reach the users on remote servers as the s2s streams
were closed before sending those stanzas [1]. I can't tell if chat.yax.im has
already updated to that version.

But even with that there's no guarantee it will always succeed: if the s2s
streams are closed your unavailable presence won't be sent before the server
shuts down.

Regards,
Thijs

[1] = https://hg.prosody.im/0.9/rev/301d58705667