List:       jabber-jdev
Subject:    Re: [jdev] XMPP server
From:       mat henshall <mat () squareconnect ! com>
Date:       2014-03-23 2:13:01

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi Michael,

When developing a chat client, it is very useful to have your own server to
test against.... If there are any errors in what you send the server will
terminate the connection with little or no indication of what is wrong.
Having your own server allows you to see the server logs and messages and
find out what the issues is.

We have tried many of the open source XMPP servers and I think the one I
would recommend to develop agains is prosody. (www.prosody.im) Very very
easy to set up, they have an active developer and user forum and can be
simply installed on windows, mac or linux.

For a web based client, I would suggest looking at http://strophe.im/. I
use the 'C' library rather than the Javascript, however, I am told the
strophe.js is really very good.

Hope this helps

Good luck with your thesis

Mat