List:       jabber-jdev
Subject:    Re: [jdev] Invisibility and MUCs
From:       Will Thompson <will.thompson () collabora ! co ! uk>
Date:       2011-02-23 14:17:19

On 22/02/11 20:31, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> On 2/22/11 1:22 PM, Matthew Wild wrote:
>> On 22 February 2011 19:29, Peter Saint-Andre<stpeter@stpeter.im>  wrote:
>>> I fail to see how you can expect to be invisible in public. How can you
>>> be sure that someone won't see your presence in the room? At that point
>>> you've leaked your presence and your invisibility is gone.
>>>

>> I don't see why being invisible should preclude selectively revealing
>> myself to certain people or groups of people. If I get found out,
>> that's my problem, it's not a protocol issue.
>
> I fully agree. I just wonder about people's expectations.

Suppose I'm invisible, and I'm IM-ing both yourself and Matthew about
XEP-0198, and we realise we should take this discussion to jdev@. By
joining that room, I know that everyone there will know I'm online; but
I still don't want everyone else in the world to know I'm online.

Of course, someone in jdev@ could leak my true availability. But so
could you or Matthew, when I was speaking to you privately.

--
Will