List:       jabber-jdev
Subject:    Re: [jdev] [Standards]  Fwd: XMPP in the browser -- your thoughts?
From:       Dave Cridland <dave () cridland ! net>
Date:       2011-02-22 12:21:14

(replying only on jdev)

On Tue Feb 22 12:09:33 2011, Hannes Tschofenig wrote:
> Aren't there XMPP implementations in the browser already out there?
> Example: Strophe http://code.stanziq.com/strophe/

Strophe runs over BOSH in Javascript, and is a (very) full XMPP
library, so the browser's security model has no control over it
beyond normal Javascript mechanisms. In particular, this means the
application provider has to supply BOSH connectivity for the site's
visitors, and there's no integration between XMPP and the web at all.

> So, what are you guys planning to do on top of it?

Not on top, but beside - the idea would be that the browser speaks
XMPP natively and can access services provided by the site directly
over XMPP, as controlled by a fairly simple API. Application
providers wishing to use the realtime stuff that XMPP does would just
provide an XMPP endpoint - perhaps even S2S only - which can respond
to requests as needed.

Sites could provide SASL ANONYMOUS access for browsers to use if they
do not have, or do not wish to use, an existing XMPP identity - but I
see this as optional for sites (mandatory for the protocol, of
course).

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave@cridland.net - xmpp:dwd@dave.cridland.net