List:       jabber-jdev
Subject:    [jdev] <field type=media>; Was Re:  Data Forms Media Element
From:       Brett Zamir <brettz9 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2009-10-31 2:11:41

On 10/31/2009 7:17 AM, Fabio Forno wrote:
> Is there any client implementing it? I'd like to do some tests, but so
> far I've found no clients with this extension

Sorry I can't help with this (still working on our client), but I have
two suggestions about this spec and Data Forms.

1) I think it would be ideal if Data Forms could add a type like <field
type="media"/> to trigger media display in a more streamlined manner. Of
course one can just check for <media/> children, but seems a bit clearer
if on @type.

2) As a corollary to #1, I think it would be convenient to also allow
media fields to be submittable as well--to work as a kind of specialized
text-multi (like jid-multi): e.g., to prompt the user for text/html,
text/xml, application/atom+xml, etc. data (submitted back as escaped
CDATA). For binary types like images, the client could be prompted to
upload a file instead.

One of my interests in the latter would be if Pubsub could be modified
to allow publishers to query to know how to publish content for a given
implementation. Currently, one must essentially know the service ahead
of time to know its accepted payload(s).

Brett