List:       jabber-jdev
Subject:    Re: [jdev] xmpp server in port 80  [opensource project]
From:       naw <lambda512 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-10-21 15:45:38

On Miércoles 21 Octubre 2009 17:33:32 Álvaro Pinel escribió:
> El Wed, 21 Oct 2009 17:26:06 +0200
>
> naw <lambda512@gmail.com> escribió:
> > On Miércoles 21 Octubre 2009 17:04:38 Álvaro Pinel escribió:
> > > El Wed, 21 Oct 2009 16:55:00 +0200
> > > naw <lambda512@gmail.com> escribió:
> > > Thx :)

> > > But I think that this webservice must have something more than a
> > > wrapped connection.
> >
> > What do you need?
>
> We're developing an application to comunicate over firewalls 2 users,
> only by port 80. And to send and recieve files, chat, instructions.
>
> At first, we start with a new library to comunicate over port 80 using
> http but if we can use xmpp is much better.

Oh, then just need to install a server listening in the port 80 and a couple
of clients (like pidgin, psi...) Of vcourse, you also can make your own client
(there are a lots of libraries to help you
http://xmpp.org/software/libraries.shtml )

The usual file transfer method implies to use another connection established
between the clients (or through a proxy if it can't be established)

But they can also be established through the main connection with the server
(In Band Bytestreams, XEP-0047) I'm not sure about which clients support it (I
think that at least pidgin does) Also, servers may be configured to throttle
client connections, so the transfer can be slow.