List:       jabber-jdev
Subject:    Re: [jdev] Spam & subscriptions
From:       "Michal 'vorner' Vaner" <vorner () ucw ! cz>
Date:       2008-09-29 15:00:46

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hello

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 03:52:20PM +0100, Dave Cridland wrote:
> On Mon Sep 29 15:23:20 2008, Michal 'vorner' Vaner wrote:
>> However, google talk, in their incredible desire to battle spam, do not
>> deliver messages unless contacts are mutually subscribed, so for gtalk
>> users, you need to subscribe to them as well. (And do not ask me how
>> this helps eliminate unwanted messages.)
>
> Oh, it certainly makes spam much harder to send via messages.
>
> Of course, it also means any spammers will use subscription-requests as a
> spam vector, which is considerably more irritating, since it requires a
> positive action to get rid of.

I understand why somebody might want to receive messages only from
people in their roster and/or authorized to see their presence. What I
do not understand, why the subscription must be mutual ‒ it would make
sense to allow receiving from someone who does not have me in his roster
but I authorized him to see me (he does not need to see me to talk to
me).

Another point about google that bothers me they just decided for all
their millions of users and do not allow them to turn this off.

Have a nice day

--
Q:	Why was Stonehenge abandoned?
A:	It wasn't IBM compatible.