List:       jabber-jdev
Subject:    Re: [jdev] (offtopic: IPv6 experience) was IPv6 readyness?
From:       Andre-John Mas <ajmas () sympatico ! ca>
Date:       2008-04-16 14:48:43

Hi,

Going from nothing to something took a little time, as I had to learn
some new concepts. Now I have things running my main issues are
generally programs that break if subjected to an IPv6 address. I
report these issues to the relevant projects whens I can and it is
then up to the developers if they care or have the time. The important
applications such as Firefox, Safari, apache2, php, java ssh, scp, vlc
and Transmisson support IPV6, as for others I have not tested them.

Now things are up and running things are good. I originally started
using Teredo, on MacOS X, but then moved to aiccu, provied by Sixxs.
This nice thing with the solution provided by Sixxs is that they allow
to have a subnet ('private' network, but not isolated by a NAT). For
my web server I had to migrate to Apache2, since this version allows
for IPv6 support. On the Windows side I have used Freenet6. There are
other ways of getting connected to IPv6 networks, but that is an
exercise left to someone  else to explore.

You will be surprised to see what is already out there. Some stuff is
listed here:

  https://noc.sixxs.net/misc/coolstuff/

I have attempted to document things as I learn about them, so I can
help save other people from the same initial headaches I had. I have
either put the documentation into the Sixxs Wiki:

   https://noc.sixxs.net/forum/

or on my site:

   http://ajmas.twilightparadox.com/?loc=articles/ipv6onosx

Since my OS is MacOS X, this is the angle from which my experience is
from and thus the documentation is based on.

If you are using need a dynamic DNS entry for your site, then I
recommend checking out freedns:

   http://freedns.afraid.org/

The advantage of freedns is that they allow you to specify an AAAA
entry (IPv6 address) for you host.

Andre

PS If you have any supplementary questions I encourage you to ask me
off-list. I posted this once, just for anyone else who might have been
interested in the same answer.