List:       jabber-jdev
Subject:    RE: [jdev] JIDs in chat rooms (Avatar and other user info)
From:       "Heiner Wolf" <wolf () bluehands ! de>
Date:       2004-09-28 7:06:47

[Attachment #2 (text/plain)]

> > What about sending a pubsub node address in the presence
> you sent to the
> > room?

Yes, a pubsub address in the <presence/> is a solution. For the deployment I have to \
wait until pubsub is available in the wild though.

> Clients can pick their own pubsub server, so they could
> specify one that
> tells them who requested the avatars. That would tell them
> the JIDs of the
> others in the room. Also the name of the node on a PubSub
> server sometimes
> shows the JID of the publisher (this is not required, but
> used many times
> in examples concerning PubSub and is never mentioned as a security
> consideration).

That's safe enough, I guess. A publisher JID in the pubsub data is much better than a \
required JID in the <presence/>.

> The only real safe way to do it is by letting the MUC
> component retrieve
> the avatars of users, and make them available for publishing
> (whether this
> is done by a minimal PubSub implementation in the MUC component, an
> external PubSub server or JEP-0008 style is up to the implementor).

Question to mu-conf people:
The really anonymous solution would be if the conf component would proxy for the \
user's server. Would it be possible that MUC answers on behalf of the user's server. \
So that the requesting client could treat the room-JID of the user like a real JID \
and the MUC translates JIDs and proxies user data. I don't dare asking for a PubSub \
proxy in MUX. For a start, a proxy for JEP-0008 like requests would probably be \
simple to implement.

> Wether clients will allow entities not on their roster (like the MUC
> component, or a user in the MUC room like Matthias suggests)
> to retrieve
> their avatar is up to them with PubSub. Though in the current
> JEP-0008 (I
> believe) model they don't have that choice (when you know the
> JID you can
> always get the avatar).

hw
--