List:       jabber-jdev
Subject:    Re: [JDEV] jabberd 1.4.2 chokes on its own log file
From:       Sydney Weidman <weidmans () mts ! net>
Date:       2003-07-31 16:46:31

On Thu, 2003-07-31 at 10:11, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 12:13:09AM -0500, Sydney Weidman wrote:
> > /var/log/jabberd/error.log filesize: 2147483647 bytes.
> >
> > Jabberd filled this file up with a billion lines like this:
> >
> > [warn] (mio_ssl.c:225): SSL accept without an IP
> >
> > and then died from SIGXFSZ
> >
> > This is a terrific security feature :-)
> >
> > Have I missed a FAQ somewhere?
> >
> > I am trying to just run jabber on my local lan, so the server doesn't
> > have a FQDN. Is that the problem?
> >
> > Out of ideas and disk space.
>
> You might want to take a look into _logrotate_.  I added a script to it
> for the Debian Jabber package a while ago:
>
>    /var/log/jabber/*.log {
>       rotate 5
>       size=100k
>       copytruncate
>       delaycompress
>       compress
>    }

Yes, thanks for the suggestion. I should set that up. But unfortunately,
it wouldn't have helped because logrotate is normally run only daily
from a cron job, while this log filled up in a matter of an hour or two.
I had only just started the daemon when i was suddenly logged out of
jabber and everything died.

Also, I am still curious why

a) so many instances of this log message have to be written and
b) what the message actually means in terms of my configuration

I wonder if one could implement a 'speed limit' for writing to log
files. I don't know if other programs have such things to prevent
runaway operation. Perhaps this is better left to the operating system
or corrected or managed by external utilities like logrotate.