List:       jabber-jdev
Subject:    Re: [JDEV] Needs Clarrifications
From:       Joe Hildebrand <jhildebrand () jabber ! com>
Date:       2002-10-28 18:00:11

(elided.... I'm only going to answer some of these)

SARADHI <uvnpsaradhi@yahoo.com> writes:

> 1)What is the minimum bandwidth a Jabber Client need to connect to the
> Server???

0?  It depends upon how much chatting they do, how often they change
their presence, and the average roster size.  Typically, a message is
around 200 bytes, and a presence notification is about 100 bytes.
Since the socket stays open for a long time, there's not much overhead
there.  Averaged over time, the bandwidth is really small.

> 4) Is there any limit in the number of users that can be added to a
> buddy list??? Why I am asking this is , Yahoo Messenger allows only a
> maximum of 100 users and it asks to remove a buddy if we tries to add
> 101th buddy. Is there any limitaiton in the Jabber Server.

No.  I think stpeter has 900+ people in his roster.  Yes, there is a
performance penalty associated with his logging in.  :)

> 6) Is there any open source clinet available for the Window
> OS,preferably Visual Basic which is implementing the SMS transport of
> the Jabber Technology????

Yes.  I haven't used any of them, so I'm not sure about completeness
of features.  Often people will start a VB client, because it's easy,
and get bored before they finish it, since doing software engineering
on that much VB6 code is... challenging.

http://www.jabber.org/user/clientlist.php
http://www.jabbercentral.com/clients

> 7) Is there any C# or VB.NET open source client available using Jabber
> Technology???

Well, this isn't a client, but a set of libraries you could use to build one:

http://www.jabberstudio.org/projects/jabber-net/project/view.php

Nexxia is a client built on top of those libraries: http://www.nureality.ca

--
Joe Hildebrand