List:       jabber-jdev
Subject:    [JDEV] Re: [standards-jig] Call for Experience: jabber:x:data
From:       Joe Hildebrand <jhildebrand () jabber ! com>
Date:       2002-07-30 23:20:05

I've sent some of these to reatmon directly, but not all.

- It would be nice to have a form title.  If it's a message, the
subject can be used, but in an IQ, there's nothing good to hang
on to.

- Need examples of messages with x:data inside.  What happens to
any body?  I suggest that it should be ignored if you know how to
process x:data.  Is the responder allowed to insert a body, for
human consumption?  I did this with exodus, and it's handy for
debugging.

- JEP needs examples of list-multi and text-multi.  Not that it's
hard, just for completeness.

- Need guidelines on how to deal with whitespace in instructions
and fixed.

- I suggest that if more interesting workflow is needed, where
the response to the form goes to someone other than the sender, a
jabber:x:header can be added.

- Later, once we have file transfer more ironed out, let's add a
type='file'.

- The reported stuff and meaningful iq results are really not
usable when not in an iq:search response.  If I had it to do
over, I'd suggest that the results of a search using x:data would
look something more like:

<iq type="result" from="bloodbank.jabber.org" id="data3">
  <results xmlns='jabber:x:data'>
    <item>
    </item>
    <item>
    </item>
  </results>
</iq>

Where <item/> is in the jabber:x:data namespace.  I don't think
this is a hardship, since we know that the recipient knows about
x:data at this point.

Overall, I really liked the spec, though.  It works well in
practice, and had enough detail to implement easily.

Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@jabber.org> writes:

> Now that the required 60-day waiting period has expired for moving the
> jabber:x:data spec (JEP-0004) from Draft to Final, I would like to issue a
> "Call for Experience" from people who have implemented this spec. The
> intent is to find out what people have learned and to discuss possible
> improvements before the Council votes to approve this spec as a Final
> standard. You can see this as a "sanity check". Please send your thoughts
> and suggestions to the standards-jig mailing list. We will allow 30 days
> for further discussion and modification, but please post to standards-jig
> in the next two weeks (by the end of the day on August 15) so the Council
> and the JEP authors can address any remaining issues before I send this to
> a vote by the Council 30 days from now.
>
> And for those who have not implemented this yet, now might be a good time
> to do so in order to uncover additional issues or possible improvements.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Peter
>
> --
> Peter Saint-Andre