List:       jabber-jdev
Subject:    Re: [JDEV] Slashdot Article
From:       Marko Samastur <markos () elite ! org>
Date:       2002-04-13 6:08:07

Hi,

On sob, 2002-04-13 at 00:03, Michael Brown wrote:

> > "Standard stuff" being "when are you going to have stable and reliable
> > gateways to the other IM systems?"
> >
> > *sigh*
>
> Yet when /. has an article about Linux, you don't see a whole host of people
> complaining that it isn't stable and reliable running Windows
> software...weird.  Many of the Open Source/Standards advocates seem to miss
> the point when talking about Jabber.

No, I think you are missing the point.The point of software is to make
certain tasks easier for its users.How people percept a particular piece
of software depends on how well it fullfills their needs. There are
always quirks and features missing, but to leave a good impression on
users, none of important features may be missing and amount of quirks
must be low enough not to bother us too much.

In case of Linux, they don't complain because Linux gives them a good
enough solution. Those, who do need them, don't use it. The reason why
people don't complain that much about Linux not running Windows software
(and they do complain, even on Slashdot) is that it for many people it
doesn't matter. Available software already covers their needs.

Jabber offers a lot, but for non-developers like my sister and mom (both
Jabber users because of me), it mostly comes down to one thing:
communication with other people. They don't care how cool or hip
something is or what the possibilities of certain technology are, they
care only what a particular piece of software gives them. And right now
Jabber mainly gives them a chance to talk to some other people.

But Jabber wasn't the first IM system and sadly isn't the one having
most users either. This means that most people's friends already are
using some other system. There are not many paths they can choose.
Either they can run a piece of software for each of them (and for me
Xchat and Gabber together are already too much), they can limit
themselves and their contacts to the one where most friends are or they
can find a solution which allows them to talk with most if not
everybody.

Simply, they WON'T choose a piece of software over their friends (except
if they are asocial like me ;-). Most people I talked to are willing to
compromise on practically every other IM feature, but they won't give up
people they talk to. In a way, I find this comforting :-)

And that's why transports are so important.

Sorry about long rant. Cheers,

	Marko