List:       jabber-jdev
Subject:    [JDEV] Jabber server RVP/Exchange Instant Messenger transport
From:       Dave Dykstra <dwd () bell-labs ! com>
Date:       2002-02-22 22:04:38

Is anybody else interested in or implementing a Jabber server transport to
interface with Microsoft's Exchange Instant Messenger server?  Because that
server is free for enterprises, my company has already deployed it even
though it's proprietary and there's no non-Windows clients.  Strategically,
I don't think I could get the people in charge in my company to consider
switching to Jabber if there wasn't a converter that enabled both systems
to co-exist for a time.  Microsoft has published a spec at

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnmes2k/html/rvp.asp

but I haven't run across anybody else who is interfacing to it yet.  One
reason may be is that Microsoft has already stated that they're going to be
switching to an IETF standard protocol in the future, so maybe nobody wants
to put in the time to implement RVP.  By some Google searches I see that
the Jabber community has been active in the IETF impp working group so I
can home that someday the two implementations will converge, but in the
meantime Microsoft is getting the embedded base.

- Dave Dykstra