List:       jabber-jdev
Subject:    Re: [JDEV] Jabber and WDDX
From:       Jeremie <jeremie () jabber ! org>
Date:       1999-09-29 22:24:22

> Hi I just joined the list and I'm interested in working on any Java code you
> guys have out there.

Welcome!  The Java stuff can be found on the Java team at
http://java.jabber.org/, there's not much there yet but join the java dev
list and ask around, there has been some work done on a beans lib and
streaming xml parser.

> > But I don't understand the use of XML for ALL your server/client
> > messages.  I can understand it's use for the message itself.  It
> > would facilitate changes in font, color, etc. but why use it for
> > everything?  Seems like it would really increase the processing time
> > to parse all that...
>
> I agree, I would hate to have a full XML parser library reside on the
> client, when a quick and dirty parser would do.

The way that we are using XML in Jabber doesn't require a "full" XML
parser, there doesn't need to be any validation, no internal DTDs or
entities, no PIs, etc, so a quick-n-dirty custom parser would be enough to
get you by, but in the end it would probably be easier to just find a
decent lightweight XML parser and use it.

I know that there was some difficulty finding an XML parser in Java that
didn't require the full document (it wouldn't process a "stream" on the
fly), so some work has gone into writing a streaming parser around the
internal tokenizer of the XT parser.  Ask on the java-dev list for more
info...

> I want to learn more about Jabber and the proposed implementation. I'll be
> digging around the docs and the code and, if I have the time, I'll be
> writing a Java implementation of the MSN protocol that I'll gladly submit
> when I finish it.

Wonderful, your MSN Java work could be useful for a Java-based MSN
transport on the server side :)

Jer