List:       jabber-jdev
Subject:    Re: [JDEV] Client Question: Macintosh
From:       Joshua Juran <wanderer () metamage ! com>
Date:       1999-09-21 12:32:06

At 6:22 PM -0400 1999-09-13, Chris wrote:
>On Monday, September 13, 1999 at 12:04 PM, tcharron@ductape.net
>(Thomas Charron) wrote:
>
>> Quoting "Greg A. Tapolow" <gt42+@imap.pitt.edu>:
>> > I've been reading the materials concerning the Jabber project
>> > for a few weeks now and am trying to gauge the status of any
>> > Macintosh clients. I am very interested in joining and/or
>> > working to organize these clients both from a Carbonized and
>> > OpenStep code base. Please contact me if you are associated
>> > with this project or (if no one is) if you would like to work
>> > on this project.
>
>I started putting on together last night, it'll connect to the .6
>servers fine and can send raw commands but doesn't yet "hear"
>data that gets sent back to it. This is my first attempt at
>networking so I'm just diving in.
>
>My Open Transport code that I'm using is a library a friend of
>mine just wrote. I don't yet know if it's all I need, but it's
>given me a place to start.
>
>As a note for people interested in mac clients, I don't think I'm
>aiming for backwards compatibility with pre-OT and
>pre-Appearance. This is a project of mine to learn OT and do
>something I'm interested in. :) Oh, and yes I did have my own OT
>code before I got my friends library, so I'm not ditching the
>learning about OT part :)

me too :-)

I'm writing a GPL'ed Mac application framework called Pedestal, and Jabber
would be a great testbed application.  Since one of my applications is a
command shell, a logical place to start would be a command-line version
(automatically scriptable), probably using GUSI (a Berkeley sockets
library).  This would be compatible back to System 7.

Josh

--
Joshua Juran                          Metamage Software Creations
=)                                         Tools for Wizards