List:       jabber-jdev
Subject:    Re: [JDEV] server2client
From:       Thomas Charron <tcharron () ductape ! net>
Date:       1999-09-20 17:25:14

Quoting Chris <behmc@alleg.edu>:
> > then how does the client distinguish between messages? (eg; there are
> > several queued up) are we forcing the client to parse the xml as it
> > reads so it knows when it's reached the end of the message? what if it
> > over reads?
> Then the client goofed, the messages come in as <message></message>. I'm
> working on the mac client right now, and you watch for the ending
> message tag. At that point you know you've gotten one whole message. I
> read the data and send it to the XML parser (expat). When expat sees an
> end tag, an end tag handler is called. AFAIK there isn't really a _need_
> for a carriage return EOM marker.

  Ahh..  I see why you guys are having problems.  Your parsing each tag
individually, and not passing it to expat as it comes in.  Expat does have the
ability to read streams, I believe, hence, you can just pass it off to expat as
it comes in..

> Course I'm also still just figuring out the whole XML thing anyway so
> *shrug*. Since we are using TCP I think we can be sure of the data
> getting to us and being in the right order (ie no interleaved messages).

Thomas Charron
<< Wanted: One decent sig >>
<< Preferably litle used  >>
<< and stored in garage.  ?>>