List:       jabber-jadmin
Subject:    Re: [jadmin] Quickstart: What should I expect ?
From:       Jack Sheerin <jsjadmin () godeater ! org>
Date:       2004-03-27 21:02:07

On 27 Mar, amcc49 wrote:

> I am interested in setting up a Jabber server inside our firewall and
use the BuddySpace client to support several workgroups totalling about
100 people worldwide. We have some people on commercial services (such
as Yahoo and AOL) but these are technically illegal from our IT
perspective and we have not been able to get enough critical mass to
make it really useful.  >

i am in the middle of a similar project myself.  jabber does seem to be
an excellent alternative.

> We will be able to get some traction with a (zero capital cost +
inside firewall) system and get some management support for IM that
would really help those of us who are telecommuters, remote from the
various offices in the real world. >

if i'm reading this correctly.. u intend to run a system behind ur
firewall for local users and then later conect it to several other
systems?  this is exactly what i am doing.

> I've gained user level access to a RedHat based machine inside the
firewall where the Jabber server will eventually be installed-- but
wanted to get it working in a more controlled environment before I
displayed my ignorance to the group that is permitting me to use the
RedHat box. >
> I've taken a Debian based box on my home network to do some
experiments, and loaded up the Jabber Quickstart script without
problems. Using Gabber on the same machine, I have not been able to log
onto the server, event though the quickstart-jabberd process seems to be
working ok. I've tried the IP address, localhost, the host name, SSL, no
SSL and just cannot connect - either in the auto-account creation mode,
or trying to log onto the server with a jabber user account that I
created during the script execution. >

well.. i'm using jabber-1.4.3 and there was very little configuration
needed to get a basic system up and running.  just compiled, very
quickly edited the jabber.xml and started it up.  i do not have ssl
support yet, but the basic server was a breeze.

did u try to telnet to localhost 5222? i wold suggest that.. theres info
in the addmin guide on how to test ur server with telnet

http://jabberd.jabberstudio.org/1.4/doc/adminguide#install

if u cannot connect via telnet chances are ur server is not actually
running, u could also try netstat -pl to see if the jabber is listening
on port 5222.

> I am able to log onto jabber from the Gabbe client. I also tried to
log on from a XP box on the same network segement using Exodus and
BuddySpace with no success. >
> As I looked at the archives here and google groups there does not seem
to be much regarding Quickstart. >
> Is there another place that I should look for help ?
>
> Any ideas what I am doing wrong ?

so many options ; )

uh.. might help to know what server ur using.  i would also suggest u
try the adminguide (its quite simple for a basic install) and do a
little troubleshooting with telnet etc.

good luck!

-jack