List:       jabber-jadmin
Subject:    [jadmin] Jabber server capability and scalability issues
From:       "Your Kiss Monster" <mymkm () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2001-03-31 17:10:38

Hi there,
I am interested in setting up an IM service, but I am afraid of [in fact
dreaming of it :)] it to be a success.
I have been reading about Jabber technology for a few days, but I am not
very clear about the scalability of it.

My plans are as follows:

1) I will setup a Jabber server. (a standard version something like ver1.4)
2) I write a Jabber client which will be able to connect to it or to any
other Jabber server.
3) At first I will have few users, but if it becomes a success, I may have
something like 100.000 users registered to my Jabber service.

Then, what I want to know are:

1) So will my Jabber server be able to handle that many users? (let's say
10.000 concurrent users)
Since each user has an established connection to the server, even if his
status is set to Away, he'll occupy resources from my server. (Which I have
read the in non-modified linux kernels, a max. of 1024 socket connections)

2) Is it possible to use multiple servers in the following way?

My Jabber service will be something like   jabber@mydomain.com
All my users will be registered to this domain, but I want to use multiple
servers to balance the load.
I don't want anything like having
jabber1@mydomain.com,jabber2@mydomain.com.... jabbern@mydomain.com,
each server having their own registered users. All the servers should use
the same place for authentication and registration.
(If the above is possible, also what about Transport services to the other
IMs, can those be handled too?)

3) Is it possible to make queris to the Jabber server like you do in ICQ.
Get me a list of all[online] users on this[other] server, who are above 26
years old, speak German and live in NewYork?
And also, is it possible to submit such a query to ICQ (or to other IM
services) over the jabber server?

These two are my major considerations.
I hope these two issues are handled by the current server, because I am
dying to start writing my own Jabber client.
I will be very pleased, if anyone can reply at least with yes or no for my
above thoughts.
Thanks in advance,
-Albert