List:       ivy-user
Subject:    Re: How to add a complex project such as Spring or Hibernate to an ivy private Repository?
From:       Nicolas_Lalevée <nicolas.lalevee () hibnet ! org>
Date:       2011-03-07 9:35:42

Le 7 mars 2011 à 07:54, Adib a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to figure out how to add a complex project such as
> hibernate to a private ivy repository. I am starting with a
> hibernate.zip file downloaded from hibernate.org and it contains
> hibernate3.jar and the jpa jar should i be creating a single ivy.xml
> for all or hibernate in the repo with multiple configuration or should
> I be creating multiple modules one module for jpa api and one module
> for the hibernate3.jar ... etc.
>
> In the case of spring should be creating a single organization called
> springframework.org with multiple modules one module for each spring
> part or should be creating a single module called springframework and
> add all the various .jar files to it.

I'm not sure is there is any particular technical advantage to "split" rather than to \
"merge". I think it just depends on the result size of the ivy.xml and the \
maintainability of the file. I tend to prefer merge by default. One ivy.xml for one \
release for potentially many artifact in that release. But for instance for spring, \
the release contains too many artifacts and too many dependencies. For my private \
repo, I have preferred to split.

> Any advice on the ivy way is greatly appreciated. I know that ivy can
> use a maven repo but my goal is not create a maven repo, i want to
> create an ivy repo optimized for ivy. What are are the differences
> between an ivy repo and a maven repo?

Since you're using Ivy, an Ivy metadata are by definition well understood by Ivy. On \
the other end maven metadata are not perfectly understood by ivy, so sometimes things \
might not work as expected, just like in any transformation or translation.

You may be interested in this Ivy repository to help you building your own one:
http://code.google.com/p/ivyroundup/

Nicolas