List:       ivy-dev
Subject:    Re: IvyRep (was Re: Extremely Slow to Resolve)
From:       "Xavier Hanin" <xavier.hanin () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-10-16 6:57:44

On 10/16/07, Maarten Coene <maarten_coene@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I had the same problems with ivyrep as well, which makes it totally
> useless.
> We should at least remove it from the tutorials, and I would even remove
> it completely from our codebase. This will break backwards compatibility,
> but I don't think we shouldn't support something that causes that many
> problems...

The problem I see for removing the resolver is that some may use it with a
private repository (they just have to change the ivyroot to do so). What we
could do however is remove the default value of ivyrep.jayasoft.org, and
make the ivyroot mandatory. It would break backward compatibility only for
those who still use ivyrep.jayasoft.org which is a very bad idea anyway.
Even for them if they really want to use it they would only have to set the
ivyroot, but at least they'd know that it's not recommended (obviously we'd
need to add something about that in the RELEASE NOTES).

Xavier

Maarten

http://xhab.blogspot.com/
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/