List:       ivy-dev
Subject:    Re: IvyDE, ui for authentication?
From:       "Xavier Hanin" <xavier.hanin () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-02-01 17:07:10

On 2/1/07, Eric Crahen <eric.crahen.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a few repositories that require username/password for publishing
> and
> sometimes for reading. In this case, its a webserver doing a basic auth
> challenge on an HTTP connection.
>
> If I try to connect to such a subversion repository with a command line
> tool
> like svn, it can prompt for username/password. If I use a plugin such as
> Subclipse, it will display a popup to prompt. The user doesn't have to
> edit
> a file somewhere and leave a username/password on disk if they don't want
> (or when it might not be allowed due to security policy).
>
> I was wondering if it would be possible in someway to extend IvyDE to
> behave
> similar to subclipse in that it could prompt for username password.
>
> (I'm not sure, but it seems like it might require something more general -
> like registering username/password resolvers with the Ivy instance (one
> might be textui, one might be eclipse ui, one might be look it up in a
> file)
> and have resolvers and publishers etc, ask the these pluggable
> authentication pieces?)

Authentication is already somewhat pluggable in Ivy, but it's neither
documented nor easy. But you're right, in IvyDE we should prompt for
username/password in a dialog if none are provided in the settings. It's
quite easy to make that pluggable in Ivy (at least for http authentication),
it's a simple change to IvyAuthenticator. I'd suggest adding an issue in
JIRA, but IvyDE issues have not yet been imported... But you can already add
an issue in Ivy, since there's some work to do in Ivy before.

- Xavier