List:       issforum
Subject:    [ISSForum] Blackice Server: TCP_Probe_SMTP normal on mail server?
From:       Cycle Rider <lamoto4 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2004-09-13 23:23:27

I didn't get any responses to this so please forgive
me for posting it again.  I'm desperate for some
answers.

I'm running blackice server (newest version) on a mail
server and using it to block dictionary attacks based
upon the smtp error message.

I am seeing hundreds of servers showing up in blackice
server as a TCP probe to port 25 on the mail server.

I need to know if it's normal for a mail server
talking to my mail server to trigger the probe
message?

Does anyone know how blackice determines that this is
a probe to port 25 rather than normal smtp activity?

Those of you running blackice on a mail server, did
you disable to automatic blocking of these probe
attempts?

Thanks for any help you can offer!