List:       ispman-users
Subject:    [Ispman-users] Conversion of APOP users
From:       Ezio Paglia <ezio () comune ! grosseto ! it>
Date:       2004-12-15 12:53:51

Hi all,

and thanks for your previous answers.
I need to populate my ispman ldap with users coming from an APOP
authentication. We still have a qpopper server (5000 users with APOP and
1000 users with PASSWORS) and are trying to test the migration toward
ispman. I have seen that PASSWORDS authentication is well converted, but
sincerely I do not know what to do for APOP users.
In apop the users and their crypted passwords are kept in a gdbm file; a
user sends the server the username plus only a digest of a string obtained
through md5 of the concatenation of the password with a secret number.
Only to better explain the difference between the usual passwords and
qpopper APOP, here follows a more practical example, extracted from a very
bad perl program of mine (please do not laugh) , in which I allowed my
users to test and change their authentication method and their password
from the web.

..
         $dest = sockaddr_in (110, inet_aton ('*****'));
         connect (SH, $dest) || die $!;
         $ingresso=<SH>;
         if ($oldmeth eq 'APOP')
#APOP
                 {
                 $ingresso=~s/.*</</;
                 ($ingresso,$dummy)=split (/>/,$ingresso);
                 $ingresso.='>';
                 $stringa=$ingresso.$oldpass;
                 $digest= md5_hex($stringa);
                 send (SH, "apop $utente $digest\n",0);
                 }
         else
#PASSWORDS
                 {
                 send (SH, "user $utente\n",0);
                 $ingresso=<SH>;
                 send (SH, "pass $oldpass\n",0);
                 }
         $ingresso=<SH>;
         if ( substr($ingresso,1,2) eq 'OK' )

Do you know whether a conversion is possible or do you think I need to make
my users pass through passwords authentication ?

Ciao and thank you.
Ezio.
--
Ezio Paglia