List:       ispman-users
Subject:    Re: [Ispman-users] ISPMan deployment request for appartment complex
From:       Wim Kerkhoff <wim () nyetwork ! org>
Date:       2004-07-21 8:47:27

Cory Petkovsek wrote:

>On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 01:13:07PM -0700, Cory Petkovsek wrote:
>

>>Finally, to control, one could use a proxy like squid.  With squid you can use
>>user/password protected internet.  However this will require an ident client on
>>each machine (windows or unix).
>>
>>An even simpler solution would be to write a script that enables routing based
>>on IP address.  Has the person assigned to that ip address paid?  If so, their
>>packets are routed.  This is checked from the database daily, not by packet.
>>To prevent people from just finding ip addresses that work, thus messing up
>>accounting as well, this would need to tie in to dhcp.  Their computername is
>>their key and is assigned by the IP provider.  This ties together their
>>account, ip address and access.
>>

>Still another solution would be to use PPPoE.

PPPoE would work, but setting up a PPPoE server is a nuisance...

I'd use iptables to force MAC/IP pairs so that users can't spoof, steal
a free ip, and so on.

For IP Bandwidth Accounting, I've been using pmacctd together with
PostgreSQL. Coupled with some web-based management and reporting tools,
it's working fairly well to account for a a couple terabytes/month of
traffic. http://www.nyetwork.org/wiki/pmacct

This is kinda offtopic though. I'd keep the network management aspect
seperate from web/email hosting, except for perhaps centralized
automated/recurring billing.

Wim