List:       ispman-users
Subject:    [Ispman-users] Pri/Sec DNS
From:       Ingar_Øyahals <yatzy () totem ! fix ! no>
Date:       2004-04-30 12:18:15

Hello users @ ispman,

Am I correct when assuming that Ispman by design adds *master* entries in
both primary and secondary name server for new domains created via the web
gui? (Tested with both Bind9 && Bind9-sdbldap backend).

If so, I'd *really* like to know if anyone have workarounds that makes
secondary name server act as a slave server for domains created.
(Still talking Bind9 backend for dns management).

Running multiple master name servers for domains aren't very satisfactory
imho. If you change/add records for domain.com, and for some reason (hey,
errors happen all the time) only one of the name servers are updated with new
zoneinfo, the nameservers are out of sync, and we have two master name
servers spreading unequal information for domain.com!
(Again, if my assumptions are correct).

Really, I can't see the reason why ispman should let secondary name server
act as slave by default, but this is more a developer related question I
guess. Does anyone else have arguments for this design I'd appreciate
some feedback.

Thanks in advance for Your replies.

--
Sincerely,