List:       ispman-users
Subject:    Re: [Ispman-users] crypt vs ssha in ispman
From:       Jeff Meden <jmeden () qn ! net>
Date:       2004-01-22 23:04:06

Tony Wasson wrote:

>>>Ive noticed a very odd problem with openldap root passwords when using
>>>v 2.1 or 2.2.  The crypt key generated by ispman isnt useful at all,
>>>the cli tools and the web interface both return invalid credentials.
>>>If i replace it with a ssha key (the default from slappasswd) the cli
>>>tools all work fine, but the web interface continues to give the same
>>>error.  Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
>>>
>>>Jeff Meden
>>>

>>More info:  I went on to test the same installation of freeBSD with
>>every version of ldap, with the various possible keys for the ldap
>>password.  In changing only the version of ldap, keeping the key
>>algorithm the same (ssha) I had success on the web interface with 2.0
>>but not with 2.1 and 2.2.  This leads me to believe there must be
>>something different about the authenication coming from the site than
>>from something running at the command line, and something that is
>>incompatible with newer versions of openLDAP.  Has anyone else noticed
>>this?  Its perfectly possible that im missing a newer component in
>>perl/apache that allows compatibility, but since ISPman is the only web
>>tool I use that incorporates ldap, I don't have a lot to go on.
>>

>Jeff,
>
>As far as I know, ISPMan is not tested with ssha. A list of the supported
>hash methods is inside the Admin Interface, click Configure, then System
>Configuration.
>
>"The hash method to use for controlpanel passwords, choose one of: clear,
>crypt, md5, sha"
>
>I'm not sure why the crypt password is not working for you. I know that
>there are people using openldap on FreeBSD. I've heard that someone wrote
>a BSD install guide, but I have never seen it. If you get the changes
>needed to make seeded SHA work, please post it. In the meantime, I guess
>you'll have to try SHA or MD5.
>
>Tony Wasson

I think my problem is coming from a couple of things, first of which is
that I can't tell the difference between an openldap auth rejection and
the control panel auth rejection, both i believe are designed to say
'invalid credentials'.  Let me make sure I understand this.  The ispman
base (the website and the CLI tools) uses the password stored in
ispman.conf for the openldap auth, and that password just happens to be
the same as the one that is set for the user ispman within the ldap
database, which is what's needed to log in to the web site.  So its safe
to say that if the cleartext that gets passed to openldap is the right
password, that it should work both ways.  On the inside, the default
hash method, which we're thinking for some reason crypt isnt good for,
should then be changed to something likd md5, the ispman account reset
with an md5 hash, and login should be assured?  Pretty clever.  It
worked.  I'm definately interested in contributing to the project, and
hopefully a few more days of finding things to break will give me enough
experience to make a difference.   Thanks go to you and scott for
pointing this out.

Jeff Meden