List:       isp-bgp
Subject:    [isp-bgp] Need to stop taking tables?
From:       "Joe Pampel" <Joe () ardsley ! com>
Date:       2005-04-18 15:54:12

Hello:

We're currently using a pair of 3640 routers running HSRP as our edge
connectivity. We take full tables plus a default from each provider.
Each edge router runs BGP with it's HSRP peer so that outbound traffic
takes the best BGP path to the destination. This gives us some degree
of
load balancing outbound.

This is not a sustainable model, as we don't have enough RAM to pull
this off for long.

I have looked at the Cisco note on reducing memory consumption via
filtering
to accept only provider routes.  That's option 1.

Option 2 is just to call both providers and have them stop
sending us tables as we don't do transit at all and don't really need
them, and management has no interest in purchasing new ($) routers at
this time which would let us carry more RAM..

SO -

My questions are:
1 - Which would you reccomend going with of the two options? filter or
just take dflts?
2 - If we go with option 2,  what can I do about my out bound routing
to get use
from both circuits/routers when I no longer have tables to work with?
What I see happening (I think) is that all of my outbound traffic will
hit the "active" router in the HSRP pair, and both routers will get
inbound traffic. Not a big deal, but is there a more elegant solution?
And am I missing something big here?

Thanks for any experience or insights you care to share on this

- Joe

_______________  The ISP-BGP Discussion List  ______________
To Join: mailto:join-isp-bgp@isp-bgp.com
To Remove: mailto:remove-isp-bgp@isp-bgp.com
Archives: http://isp-lists.isp-planet.com/isp-bgp/archives/
Jupitermedia Corp.
Attn: Discussion List Management
475 Park Avenue South
New York, NY 10016

Copyright 2005 Jupitermedia Corporation All Rights Reserved.