List:       isp-bgp
Subject:    [isp-bgp] RE: Problem with RRs
From:       "Kaliraj V - CTD, Chennai." <kalirajv () ctd ! hcltech ! com>
Date:       2004-06-22 10:24:12

I guess you can make the RR select route given by R1 by applying some kind
of policy. So that RR will select R1's route and advertise it to R3. In case
R1 becomes unavailable, route from R2 would get selected at RR and thus
traffic from R3 will start flowing thru R2 instead of R1.

In either case, traffic would-not flow thru RR assuming routes advtd by R1
and R2 say that they are nexthops. So, RR doesnt need to come in the
forwarding path, which is never mandatory!

The kind of policy you can apply at the RR can be like tweaking the
local-preference or weight attributes so-as-to give more preference to R1
than R2.

Kaliraj.