List:       isp-bgp
Subject:    [isp-bgp] Newbie Cisco upgrade question, apologies in advance :-)
From:       Mary Grace <isp-bgp () diskserv ! com>
Date:       2003-06-15 0:43:03

Please forgive me for asking what must seem to you all to be a "newbie"
question!

Our tiny little non-profit religious network has been using a pair of T1
lines running BGP4 for  multihoming to two diverse-path upstream ASNs for
many years now.  We have our own portable IP address space and ASN (of
course), and have just decided to install our first DS3, because a new
upstream is offerring us $30 per month per meg port for a full
HDLC-encapsulated point-to-point DS3 (yippee!).

Our quandary is where to go to ask people with lots of clue on BGP4/eBGP to
tell us what the least expensive Cisco router we must buy to replace the
tired little 2600 series we currently have.  The router, which need not be
as race-car fast as a 7206VXR NPE400, should be able to take full routes,
so I am told it must have at least 128 meg memory, and it must be able to
take a coax DS3 feed in to one card or module from the new provider, and a
lowly DS1 serial port now from an AdTran TSU on the other side for one of
the old DS1 providers, but be upgradeable someday to take a second DS3
card.  OF course, with a DS3 on one side, it has to have a 100base
ethernet, unlike our blessed little sturdy cheapie 2610 :-)

Again, please forgive this perhaps off-topic question, but who knows better
which router can hit the double scores of least expensive and able to take
full BGP4 routes for a DS3 but you learned and knowledgeable folks?

Thanks in advance, and any charitable response that you may be willing to
offer us will have our most humble thanks!

Mary Grace

                         ** 802.11 Planet **
       The business of hot spots. Wireless ISP business plans.
      Wireless network certifications. High-gain antenna design.
                       Site survey techniques.
                       June 25 - 27, Boston, MA
             http://www.jupiterevents.com//80211/spring03