List:       isp-bgp
Subject:    [isp-bgp] Introduction and Question
From:       "Brian Thoman" <flyfisher () bambooflyrods ! com>
Date:       2003-05-14 17:56:59

I'm new to the list but have been using BGP for some time.  I'm definitely not \
advanced.  I have a question as to the best way to implement BGP in our environment.

Our network consists of two routers external to our firewalls and are running HSRP on \
the ethernet side facing the firewalls.  One router has a DS3 with Genuity and the \
other has an 18mb connection with UUNet.  The Genuity connected router is the HSRP \
active router which the firewalls use as their default route.  We exceed 18mb \
outbound daily so I don't feel comfortable allowing BGP to take the best path since \
we could get congestion on the 18mb link.

I've spoken with UUNet a few times and have an idea of how to best route and would \
like to know if anyone can think of what will go wrong.  It seems it may be too \
complicated.

My thoughts are these:

1) Advertise my networks to Genuity normally.

2) Advertise my networks to UUNet with a community string of 701:3 which will append \
701 three times to their advertisements to their peers.

3) Advertise my networks to UUNet with a local preference of 120.

4) On the UUNet connected router, set the local preference of received routes that \
are within two or three AS hops of 701 to 120.  I'm not sure this can be done with a \
regular expression but I'm certainly hoping that it can (I need help with this part). \
Everything else gets set to 80.

Hopefully, the end result of the configuration will be that most UUNet customers will \
come in through my UUNet connection and customers within two or three AS hops of \
UUNet will exit my network through the UUNet connection.

                     >> Recycle Your Hardware <<
              Clean out your closets and make some cash.
               Reach thousands of ISP equipment buyers.
                     http://www.isp-equipment.com

_______________  The ISP-BGP Discussion List  ______________
To Join: mailto:join-isp-bgp@isp-bgp.com
To Remove: mailto:remove-isp-bgp@isp-bgp.com