List:       isp-bgp
Subject:    Re: typical  multihoming issue
From:       Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch () muada ! nl>
Date:       2002-05-07 14:48:30

On Tue, 7 May 2002, B N Chatterjee wrote:

> You mean that if i am announcing a network to provider B , and that
> provider B is sending them to a bigger provider like UUnet , MCI
> ( who normally accepts customer configured communities ) i can directly
> influence routing of my traffic at uunet end by setting desired
> community as defined by uunet ?

> I guess this is possible only if provider B is actually relaying my
> community to the bigger provider , right ?

By default a Cisco will accept communities from other routers, but not
send them. If the router is configured to send communities, it will relay
them like this, yes. It is possible to filter out communities of course,
but this requires additional configuration that's probably not present in
a network that "doesn't support communities".

> well , has anybody implemented  it in practice ?

Not that I know of. Just try setting a community and see if it turns up in
a looking glass operated by a peer or transit ISP of your ISP B.

Iljitsch van Beijnum

_______________  The ISP-BGP Discussion List  ______________
To Join: mailto:join-isp-bgp@isp-bgp.com
To Remove: mailto:remove-isp-bgp@isp-bgp.com