List:       isp-bgp
Subject:    Re: w.r.t RFC 1771 -  If the TCP Connection is not establised, is  ACTIVE  state mandatory
From:       "Simeon Pilgrim" <simeon.pilgrim () alliedtelesyn ! co ! nz>
Date:       2001-10-11 21:47:10

> Can we not do this being in CONNECT state itself? (i.e. clubbing CONNECT and
> ACTIVE)

Yes, in the CONNECT state an inbound connection would make
you go to the OPENSENT state. But that is not what I am trying to
show.

If what your saying is, why can't we make the CONNECT state wait
if the connection fails, before it starts again, then you have just
defined to behaviours for one state. So it really has to be two
states.

The only point of the ACTIVE state is to stop the 'router' trying to
make another outbound TCP connect straight after the first failed.

It really depends how the TCP stack at the other end behaves to
SYNs on ports it is not listen on, does it do nothing, or does it
send a RST or FIN back. If it does the latter, and you have no
ACTIVE state then you will thrash the other end with SYNs
because every time you get a RST or FIN you go back to the
CONNECT state and try another outbound connection.

regards,
Simeon.
Simeon Pilgrim                      27 Nazareth Avenue
Software Engineer                   PO Box 8011
Allied Telesyn Research             Christchurch 8034
(An Allied Telesyn Group company)   New Zealand
phone +64 3 377 8900                fax   +64 3 377 8870

ISP-Planet: The Intelligence Center for the ISP Community
http://www.isp-planet.com/
Where the world evolves around your ISP-Business

_______________  The ISP-BGP Discussion List  ______________
To Join: mailto:join-isp-bgp@isp-bgp.com
To Remove: mailto:remove-isp-bgp@isp-bgp.com
Archives: http://isp-lists.isp-planet.com/isp-bgp/archives/